A detailed tour of the church, pointing out important architectural and historical features. The tour includes a visit to the Tudor Court House, a much-altered building which has had many uses over the years.
St Peter’s Church was consecrated in 1222 and is probably the second largest church in the county, reflecting the importance of the wool trade at the time. Many interesting tombs show the importance of the castle and the families who influenced the history of the town. The Court House is Tudor and was where courts of common pleas were heard and weights and measures were checked. It housed the National School in the 19th century and is now used as a church hall. The Church has many interesting memorials and two windows dedicated to the poet William Cowper, whose father was Rector here.
A Heritage Open Days Event